Saturday, January 08, 2005

Is This What They Mean...

...when the Left talks about something being "self-sustaining"? Publius at Gods of the Copybook Headings has an interesting post about the correlation between the generosity of welfare benefits and long-term dependancy on the same.

In one of the longest posts I've ever read (and honestly, I didn't get all the way through it) he has a back and forth argument with Upper Canadian about the differences between Canadian and American health care that deserves your attention, if you can spare the time.

He also reprints one of the best quotes I've ever read about the stupidity of political terminology.

Update: Publius has written me to correct an error I made above: his argument over healthcare is not with Upper Canadian's Michael Paetzold, but instead a gentleman named Johanthan Dursi. The final wordcount for this post, as of his writing is 9,242. It's an important issue in Canada and needs this kind of debate.